Film Makeup Test, Part 2 – The Blood and Dirt

Continuing on from my last post, I’m now in a position to apply the fun stuff: Blood and dirt! 😀

This is how Annie looked at the end of the last post:

IMG_2094

Parents, please be advised that in this post, detailing how I made the wound, may not be appropriate for small children who do not do well with a little blood. Previewing may be in order. 🙂


Blood and Dirt

IMG_2095Now that I have the base ready, it’s time to mess it up. 😉

Liquid Latex

I took a tissue and separated it into one thin sheet, taking it from a two ply tissue to one really thin ply.

I ripped off a little bit and rolled it into a little log.

Taking a small paintbrush I didn’t care about, I drew a line of liquid latex onto Annie’s forehead.

using liquid latex for wounds

Before the latex dried, I put the little rolls of tissue on top of it, sticking them to Annie’s head.

IMG_2097

I layered a few more coats of latex over the paper rolls, doing my best to blend it into her skin.

IMG_2100

We used a hairdryer to help the latex dry faster. (Impatient us) It’s already starting to look cool and yucky.

IMG_2102

When it was dry, I tried to blend it in a bit more by using a sponge to dab some foundation on the latexed area. I realized too late that I should have worked with the latex before I put on her foundation. It was much harder to match the exact shade, plus it did some other goobering I was disappointed about. Nevertheless, I went on and did my best to cover up the little mistakes.

IMG_2105

I decided to move on to the dirt next. Taking a wine cork that I had burnt the end of with a lighter, I rubbed the charred end on my fingers and rubbed my fingers on her face putting some streaks on her cheeks and on the sides of her nose. I tried to put more “dirt” in the places on the face where it would naturally accumulate more, like the sides of the nose, by the ears, and on the temples.

I also took a makeup sponge and chopped up the end with scizzors. I then used it to dab eyeshadow in the colors purple, brown, and green in the wound area as well as a few of the other “dirty” places.

IMG_2111

Taking that same chopped up sponge, I dipped it in a little blood gel and sponged all around the wound area. This helped cover up the end of the latex-covered area quite a bit!

Taking the smallest brush I have, I traced over the top of the raised bump with several layers of blood gel. At this point it still didn’t look right, so I tried  adding some little spillover veins on the sides. This immediately helped a lot, but I got them a little too widespread and spidery. Max said it looked too “zombie-like”. 😉

IMG_2119

I added some scratches on Annie’s cheek by lightly tracing the lines with a red lipliner pencil, then going over it with some brown eyeshadow mixed with the blood gel. I tried to make parts of the scratches thicker and darker than other parts, because I know that scratches like that are not usually even lines. However, I think I got them a little too thick. It still looked pretty good.

I finished everything off with a few more pats of “dirt” with the different dark colors of eyeshadow.

IMG_2122

Silly Annie kept giving us her “dead look”. With all her wounds, it was very creepy. 😛

IMG_2125


Time for a photoshoot!

Time for a photoshoot! Annie was a very good model. I was scared she was going to attack me with the stunt knife. 😉

Annie_Blood_1

Annie_Blood_3

Annie_Blood_6

Annie_Blood_8

Annie_Blood_9

Annie_Blood_4

Annie_Blood_10

Annie_Blood_5

Annie_Blood_2


In conclusion,

I was very happy with how this first test turned out!

Here are some things I didn’t really like:

1. I mixed the foundation a little too light. In my next test I will not be afraid to go a bit darker.

2. The blood gel is a little too bright red for my taste. I would like to figure out a way to make it a bit darker so that it doesn’t look so fresh and fake.

3. The scratches on Annie’s cheek didn’t look very 3D; they mostly looked like red lines. I need to try some different techniques.

4. I didn’t plan beforehand what kind of wound I wanted to make, and so this wound isn’t really one that could happen in real life (that I know of). It seems to be some sort of a cross between a cut, a scar, and a burn. Next time, plan beforehand.

5. The paper was a bit too thick. Next time I’ll make the paper smaller, if I use it at all.

Another test will be coming soon!

Please let me know your thoughts in the comments below! If you have any questions about the products I used, I’d be more than happy to answer them!

And that’s the way the cookie crumbles.

~Rachel

Advertisements

About Rachel Poling

Rachel Poling is a serial hobbyist and one of those sopranos who can sing really high notes and likes sparkly jewelry. She enjoys researching, mulling, doodling, and implementing costume, makeup, and hair ideas. She also enjoys working on film scores, doing color correction, and generally having a toe dipped in anything pre-production. She has yet to act in any films, but she hopes to play an evil queen someday. View all posts by Rachel Poling

Say something about our hair.... or the post.. that works too. :-)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s